8.04.2014

Week 4: ONE MONTH COMPLETED!

August 4, 2014

WOW! The mission field is going so well! I am definitely loving it so much! We worked SUPER hard ALL week so I don't have too many crazy, eventful things to fill you in on... BUT here it goes! :)

Tuesday we had exchanges! It was sooo different. I went to Craig... man, am I glad I am serving in SS! It is so much prettier than any other area! So that was good- I learned a lot... especially concerning how hard Hna Dotto and I work.

 
I went on exchanges with Hermana White and we got soaked in the rain!

 
Wednesday was just teaching after we finally got home from exchange. We went and helped Yesena Villa Parra set up for financial help from the place called Lift Up where we volunteer. We had to translate for her (well Hna. Dotto did). It was so sad. These people literally can't even pay for their parking at their trailer. She broke her foot and had to spend all of her money on the hospital. She has little to no food in the house and has 4 kids and is a single parent. The lady at Lift UP asked if she needed food for her family and Yesena said no because she felt like she was asking too much already for the parking. We knew they had little to no food. The lady told yesena that the reason they were there was to help. So we helped her pick out a whole cart of food. It was an amazing experience. She has literally nothing and is struggling so much but was so scared that she wouldn't even ask for food. So humbling.

 
One of my favorite converts, Francisco

 
Thursday we had District Meeting in Craig and then came back to SS and taught. That morning I had an unbelievable feeling while reading from the Book Of Mormon. Our mission president challenged us to read the BOM in the first transfer (13 pages per day). Well... I have been super dilligent and just have been completely losing myself in the reading. I miss just being able to spend as long as I want reading, BUT I have gained SUCH a strong testimony of the BOM since being here! WOW. It is so true. I have no doubts in my mind. READ IT! It will testify of truth. I just received the EXACT answer I was seeking on Thursday morning. We talk with God through prayer and he responds through scripture. I know that FOR A FACT. We are so blessed to have so much knowledge.
 
 








The living room and bedroom in our apartment...so nice!


 

Friday was great... We are continuing to teach the Villa Parra family (Keyla, Yesena, More). They are responding so well to the discussions. Later on we went and saw Nancy (Yesena's sister). She was really struggling. I can't go into all of the details... but her and her husband are in a super abusive relationship. She cried to us for an hour and a half. She was in a really bad place.





The next night... (Saturday) we went over to Yesena's and she said Nancy was bad. So we called the Elders to give her a blessing. When we got there she couldn't even open her eyes or get out of bed. She looked like she was drugged. We finally got her into the chair. The Elders gave her a blessing of health. Afterwards, they gave her a blessing of comfort and peace. While they were giving her the blessing, she passed out. Straight up started falling out of her chair. Elder Knight caught her and just kept giving the blessing. When he finished she had an anxiety attack. Started bawling, crying, hyperventilating... Her mom, Cleo, got alcohol and had to put it in front of her face so she would come back to reality. They were fanning her and all we were doing was just sitting there and crying. It was surreal. After when we finally got her calmed down, we explained what Elder Knight said in the blessing since it was in English, and shared a passage from the BOM. This family is normally a ton of super solid rocks- never shows emotion and just are so humble. Cleo, the mom of all the daughters (Yesena, Nancy) was bawling. She is a tough chick normally, and was so upset by everything; she was begging for our help during the day. After we finished sharing the message, I said the prayer. Talk about a lot of pressure. What do you say, in a language you are still learning, to a family who is literally at their breaking point with a woman who just passed out and hasn't eaten in 3 weeks and is clinically depressed? Wow! It was a lot. But I blessed their family with strength and to overcome the difficulties they were experiencing. I blessed them with the knowledge that the trials they had were from God and were making them better. Wow, what an experience! Nancy was able to stand and say goodbye. We were pretty shaken by the whole situation. It never ceases to amaze me the things we see here!
 


Me and Hermana Dotto on Saturday


Sunday was fast Sunday and it was great! We did a 24 hour fast mission wide for the members to be active in their missionary work. We all know that I don't do well without food... but I didn't get hungry ONE time in 24 HOURS. It was a miracle that we were able to endure. So we fasted and every Sunday after church the ward goes over to the ward mission leader's house (Fred Sandelin - He is a crack up). The missionaries usually cook waffles and eggs and bacon every week (I make some meeean waffles) but this week was a birthday party for the Burke's daughter so we got to take a little break. It was great. Then that night, we went and visited Nancy and her family again...COMPLETE 180 from the day before. We taught them Lesson 3 and they were hanging on to every word. The spirit was so strong and we have so much faith in them. The priesthood and especially blessings by the priesthood are so so so powerful.

Well that pretty much sums everything up! Things here are great. I love my mission. The work is hard, and we haven't seen the fruits of our labors yet, but miracles happen every day! I can't believe how blessed we are. We taught THIRTY lessons this week. Yes, 30. Needless to say, we are working hard. and still going. We don't have anyone on date right now... but are feeling some coming soon. Thank you all for your support and love. You will never have any idea how much it means to me.


Me in my new Colorado sweatshirt
 

TWO FUNNY THINGS from this week:

1) The little girls from Dream Island (the trailer park)  LOVE us. They always come up and hug us and are always outside. We spend a TON of time in Dream Island because a TON of our investigators are there. On Saturday we were there all day, and at around 4 pm they come up to us and say, "When do you guys sleep????!!!" Haha, it was funny.. and completely accurate at the moment. We had taught 8 lessons that day. We are always SO exhausted at the end of the day. I can never remember even going to bed.
 
2) There is another boy that lives in Dream Island, he rides around on his bike. Last week, he told us that his Grandma cut his hair and asked if we liked it. We said we did (of course- we aim to please ;)) and he said, "GREAT! SHE CAN CUT YOURS TOO!" We jokingly passed him along. Well... little did we know.. EVERY time he sees us... he says, "my Grandma isn't here today... sorry." "She can't cut your hair today... Lo siento!" We always say awwww, it's okay or something along those lines. WELL... yesterday he came up to us and asked us to schedule an appt to have a hair cut with his Grandma. (Kid is a TOTAL salesman- he's about 9 years old haha). Hna D and I both love our hair and are scared to get it cut... BUT, we couldn't leave the kid hanging... so Sister Dotto told him she would come get her haircut next Monday afternoon. WOW. The kid SPED OFF to tell his Grandma. So needless to say... Hna. Dotto is getting her hair cut by some Mexican lady we don't even know next week. It should be interesting... but maybe we will get a new investigator out of it, eh??? ;) HAHA, good times in Dream Island. You never know what you're going to get.

Taco Cabo: Our favorite Mexican place to eat


 
Lastly, I just want to say how much I love my family. I am so grateful to have parents set an example for me to seek a worthy priesthood holder and to marry in the temple. I am grateful for everything you, Mom and Dad, have done for me; your love, support, and insight in all things. You are always right and always strive to provide for me in every way. I couldn't imagine growing up in any other home. Thank you for teaching me to love the gospel. Also, to my sweet sister for her love and involvement in my life... constantly. You are my best friend, sisty! Eiji... thanks for keeping my sister in check. You are perfect and your growing testimony inspires me daily. Steven and Jessie... Thanks for loving me and your advice for my mission. I will forever cherish the moments we were able to spend together before I left! Jess... Keep Steve in line... No more OKC and Cougar games... ;)

 
Finalmente,
​Yo se que Jesucristo nos ama mucho. Yo se que las familias son eternas. ​Por la expiacion, podemos recibir la vida eterna. Estoy agredecido por todas las bendiciones gue tengo. ME ENCANTA ESTE IGLESIA CON TODO MI CORAZON!

Have a great week!
xoxo
 
Love,
Hermana Pierce


No comments:

Post a Comment